Northrop Frye Awards
Awards of Excellence
As Canada's leading research-intensive university, U of T is expected to consistently demonstrate dedicated and engaged learning opportunities for our undergraduate students.
The Northrop Frye Award (Faculty) recognizes those individuals or team of individuals who have enhanced the student experience through innovative curriculum, co-curricular learning, and pedagogical contributions inside and outside the classroom with a special focus on the integration of research and teaching. For example, fostering opportunities for undergraduates to participate in cutting-edge research activities.
The Northrop Frye Award (Staff) recognizes a staff member or team of staff members who have made significant contributions to the quality of the learning environment for students. This includes enhancing the learning environment in classrooms, libraries, or academic programs, and providing exemplary support in re-imagining the undergraduate experience.
Nominations from across the University and from all departments and divisions are welcome. The Northrop Frye Award is not a humanities-focused award.
Professor Northrop Frye (1912-1991) was one of the 20th century’s pre-eminent scholars and literary critics, and a noted commentator on Canadian society and culture. A faculty member in the Department of English at Victoria College in the University of Toronto, Frye gained international recognition with the publication of his works, and held 38 honorary doctorates from universities around the globe. The world remembers him for his writings and on campus, Professor Frye is remembered for his outstanding lectures, about which generations of students have spoken and written with delight, and for his unwavering passion for teaching and learning.
Faculty members holding continuing appointments are eligible for the Northrop Frye Award (Faculty). This includes tenure-stream, teaching-stream (continuing), and clinical faculty.
Administrative staff members holding continuing appointments are eligible for the Northrop Frye Award (Staff).
Complete nomination packages must be emailed as one complete PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org and must be received by Monday, December 3, 2018.
Yes, it is recommended that the nominee be informed of the nomination.
- Completed nomination form.
- Cover letter from the nominator that outlines a summary of contributions and impact within the context of the award criteria. The letter must include a signed endorsement of the Dean (and Chair if applicable).
- One to two letters of support from students, faculty members, and/or other individuals able to assess the nominee's effectiveness for integrating research and teaching.
- Teaching philosophy statement written by the candidate, with a focus on the integration of research and teaching (two to three pages).
- Nominee's CV (note: academic bibliographies should not exceed 5 pages; please provide an abbreviated version if necessary).
- Completed nomination form.
- Cover letter from the nominator that outlines the nominee's achievements and contributions, and explains how their leadership has impacted the learning environment for students. The letter must include a signed endorsement of the Dean (and Chair if applicable).
- One to two letters of support from people in a position to assess the nominee's contributions.
- Nominee's CV (a job description is optional).
Winners for both the faculty and the staff Frye Awards are determined by a process of nomination and selection by a committee. The Selection Committee will comprise tenure- and teaching-stream faculty members from different ranks and will include:
- Vice-President & Provost (or Designate) as Chair
- Centre for Teaching Support & Innovation (1 representative)
- 4 Faculty representatives, two of which shall be members of the Teaching Academy
- 1 Alumni Member
Do not submit more than the required number of documents/letters. Supplementary documents will not be considered.
All letters of support are confidential and will be viewed by members of the Selection Committee only. Those who wish to view the letters for publicity or information purposes must first obtain permission from the individual who wrote the letter.
It is the responsibility of the nominator to ensure that nomination packages are complete. Incomplete nomination packages will not be considered by the Selection Committee.
Nominations should be submitted as one complete PDF with the nomination form by email to the Office of the Vice-President & Provost at email@example.com.
It is the responsibility of the nominator to ensure that the nomination package is complete. Incomplete nomination packages will not be considered by the Selection Committee.
Resubmissions: Nominations may be resubmitted once for a total of two (2) consecutive years. Each resubmission must be accompanied by a new nomination cover letter.
Please contact Julian Weinrib at firstname.lastname@example.org.