The Ludwik and Estelle Jus Memorial Human Rights Prize
Awards of Excellence
The Ludwik and Estelle Jus Memorial Human Rights Prize is presented to a faculty, staff or student member of the University who has made a positive and lasting contribution to education and action against discrimination. Prize winners have included a wide variety of individuals who have been recognized for their scholarship, personal service to others, or activities in support of the University of Toronto’s commitment to the values of equal opportunity, equity and justice.
The award recipient receives a prize of up to $1,500 and is honoured at the annual Awards of Excellence ceremony held each Spring.
The Ludwik and Estelle (Stella) Jus Memorial Human Rights Prize was established in 1995 in memory of two Polish educators who risked their lives during the Holocaust to rescue Jewish people. They believed deeply in the moral value of human beings, irrespective of race, nationality, class or religion.
Nominations for the Awards of Excellence may be made by any member of the University of Toronto community. Past recipients of an Award of Excellence may still be nominated for a different Award, provided they meet the eligibility criteria. An individual may only be nominated for one (1) award in any given year.
In making its decision, the Selection Committee for the Ludwik and Estelle Jus Memorial Human Rights Prize will take the following criteria into account:
- Organization of programs and other activities related to non-discrimination. Nominees who are not engaged in scholarly or academic work must have made a lasting contribution in ways that exceed their normal job requirements.
- Scholarly work, including individual publications, outstanding student work, including doctoral studies in relevant areas, or lifetime achievements. In particular, scholarly, academic or other work connected with the Holocaust will qualify for consideration
Under the terms of the award, the Selection Committee will consider submitted nominations and will also have the authority to recommend its own nominees.
Complete nomination packages should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org by 4 pm, Friday, January 19, 2018.
Yes, it is recommended that the nominee be informed of the nomination.
A complete nomination package for the Ludwik and Estelle Jus Memorial Human Rights Prize must include the following documents.
- Completed nomination form
- Covering letter from the nominator, addressing the criteria noted above
- Complete curriculum vitae for the candidate
- One (1) letter from the nominee’s supervisor or department head, indicating that the nominee is an employee (or, where applicable, a student) in good standing
- Three (3) letters of support from colleagues/peers/students. A letter of support signed by multiple individuals counts as one letter towards the total
Do not submit more than the required number of documents/letters. Supplementary documents will not be considered.
All letters of support are confidential and will be viewed by members of the Selection Committee only. Those who wish to view the letters for publicity or information purposes must first obtain permission from the individual who wrote the letter. Once submitted all application/nomination materials become property of University Advancement and cannot be returned to either the nominator or the applicant.
It is the responsibility of the nominator to ensure that nomination packages are complete. Incomplete nomination packages will not be considered by the Selection Committee.
Nominations may be resubmitted up to three (3) consecutive years. Each resubmission must be accompanied by a new nomination form and nomination letter. It is the nominator‘s responsibility to contact all previous supporters for permission to carry forward letters of support.
Unsuccessful nominations that exceed the three-year limit may be resubmitted after a one-year hiatus, provided that a new package is assembled. It is the responsibility of the nominator to retain copies of the complete nomination package for future reference or resubmissions.