Make the Most of the Conference
This guide is about YOU, and YOUR experience at Next Steps. Use this as a tool to prepare your conference strategies, remember the network connections you make, think through the information you will hear, and build your future plans.
- Set your learning goals. To make the most of your experience at Next Steps, it helps to identify what you want to learn here. Deciding this now will make it easier to recognize when someone talks about something related to your goals.
- Build your personal introduction and identify questions you might want to ask during your Next Steps experiences.
- If you arrive early, visit the Next Steps Hub located outside the ballroom to learn more about the conference and resources available to you as a student or an alum.
- Plan on staying for the full two days of the conference. We’ve ensured that both days are jam-packed with opportunities to learn about careers connected to your degree, to meet professionals in these fields and to develop important career skills.
- Actively participate in your sessions and talk to fellow delegates, alumni and staff. Keep track of your connections and when you complete four, visit the Next Steps Hub to learn how to enter the prize draw.
- Ask your questions during the workshops and panels. You will help out other delegates by speaking up.
- Deepen your experience by taking notes, using your booklet’s career tools and building your future actions list.
- Share your thoughts at the Next Steps Hub and tell us how you are doing. The Next Steps Hub is just outside the ballroom on the second floor.
- Connect with other attendees and conference speakers on social media: #uoftnextsteps
- Go back to your Next Steps Goals and reflect on what you learned
- Revisit the connections you made and re-introduce yourself by phone, email, LinkedIn or your U of T Ten Thousand Coffees account.
- Stretch your network further: read-up on panellists, seek additional professional contacts, and connect with someone you don’t know for an Informational Interview
- Continue your connections with U of T:
The Next Steps Conference is also on your U of T Student Life app. Simply download the conference event guide to find bios of our alumni speakers and guests, full session descriptions and locations, tip sheets and more!
Don't have the app yet?