Eligibility and Selection Criteria | Nomination Requirements | Application Procedures | Additional Notes | Nomination Form
The Faculty Award is presented to a member of the University of Toronto teaching staff who consistently demonstrates excellence in both teaching and research endeavours. Award recipients will be honoured at the annual Awards of Excellence ceremony held in the Spring.
ELIGIBILITY AND SELECTION CRITERIA
Nominees must hold tenured or tenure-equivalent positions.
In making its decision, the Selection Committee will assess candidates based on the following criteria:
- Achievements in research, publications and teaching
- The impact on the candidate’s work on his/her field of study, and their ability to present findings and theories based on informed scholarship that is methodologically and theoretically rigorous
- The degree to which the candidate presents course material in a clear and intellectually compelling fashion, engaging students on a higher level and providing them with an enriching learning experience in the classroom
- The degree to which the candidate’s research and teaching are informed by and respond to the radical changes in our intellectual landscape
- Distinction and record of service to the University
Nominators must submit a nomination package including a covering letter which specifically addresses the following:
- The selection criteria listed above as it relates to their nominated candidate
- Their interpretation of each candidate’s curriculum vitae for the benefit of the Selection Com
- An outline and explanation of the awards and honours their candidate has received, and an indication of the degree of importance of these accomplishments
In a separate document, nominators must summarize the candidate’s publications list, indicating the number of works that have primary authorship by the candidate, and the number with secondary or contributing authorship. Any other pertinent information on the nature of the publications and their relative importance and stature will be useful for the committee.
Successful nominations will have secured the Dean’s (in single-department divisions) or Chair’s (in multi-department divisions) endorsement, which is expected to be a full and frank assessment of the candidate’s suitability for the award. In cases where divisions have more than one nominee, the Dean or Chair should feel free to provide a ranking of the candidates’ relative merit.
A complete nomination package for the Faculty Award must include the following:
- Completed nomination form.
- Complete curriculum vitae for the candidate
- Covering letter from the nominator, adhering to the guidelines specified above
- Summary of publications list (maximum five (5) pages)
- Letter of endorsement from the Dean or Chair
- A maximum of five (5) letters from students/peers/colleagues from the University of Toronto and/or peers from other institutions.
- Please do not submit more than the required number of documents/letters, as outlined in the individual award requirements. Supplementary documents will not be considered.
- It is the responsibility of the nominator to ensure that nomination packages are complete. Incomplete nomination packages will not be considered by the Selection Committee.
- It is recommended that all documents and letters be typed rather than handwritten.
- All letters of support are confidential and will be viewed by members of the Selection Committee only. Those who wish to view the letters for publicity or information purposes must first obtain permission from the individual who wrote the letter.
- It is recommended that the nominee be informed of the nomination.
Complete nomination package must be received by Friday, December 9, 2016.
Nominations may be resubmitted up to three (3) consecutive years. Each resubmission must be accompanied by a new nomination form and nomination letter. It is the nominator‘s responsibility to contact all previous supporters for permission to carry forward letters of support.
Unsuccessful nominations that exceed the three-year limit may be resubmitted after a one-year hiatus, provided that a new package is assembled. It is the responsibility of the nominator to retain copies of the complete nomination package for future reference or resubmissions.
To resubmit a nomination, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.